Hot & Spicy
These Buffalo cauliflower tacos are a fresh take on “Buffalo wings” for the New Year
Posted on January 2019
This easy vegetarian riff on Buffalo chicken wings is a big hit at my house. It has all of the components and flavors of the popular bar snack, but it is lightened up by using cauliflower instead of chicken, baked instead of fried, and served taco-style — which turns it from a snack into an instant dinner. Swapping fried chicken for baked cauliflower means you won’t be missing anything except for a few of the calories. So why not dress it up as much or as little as you like? If you dare, try a drizzle of ranch dressing on the top! Terryl Gavre, owner of Cafe 222 and co-owner of Bankers Hill Bar + Restaurant; breadandbutterismyjam.com, @terrylgavre
“Buffalo Wing” Style
2 Tbsp butter
1 large cauliflower head, broken into ½-inch florets
1 cup flour
½ cup milk
½ cup buttermilk
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup hot sauce (I use Frank’s)
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 ripe avocados
½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice, plus more if desired
¾ tsp salt
1 carrot (grated)
¼ cup red cabbage (thinly sliced)
5 oz cilantro (roughly chopped)
2 celery sticks (shaved with a peeler)
3 pounds ripe golden heirloom tomatoes, 3 cut in quarters
½ pound carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
3 cloves peeled garlic, rough chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 28-ounce can of plum tomatoes
1 quart chicken or veggie stock, or water
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450º.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, milk, buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt together until smooth and no lumps appear. Set aside.
3. Place a wire cooling rack over a sheet pan and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Using a slotted spoon, dip the florets into the batter and allow excess to run off. Place on wire rack, allowing about a half an inch between each piece.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before handling.
6. In another medium mixing bowl, combine the hot sauce, Worcestershire, and honey.
7. Lightly toss the cauliflower in the hot sauce mix and return to wire rack. Place in oven for another 10 minutes until sauce begins to caramelize.
8. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the consistency of a creamy
Lightly toss the carrots, cabbage, cilantro, and shaved celery with half
of the crème.
Build the tacos
Place a row of slaw in the center of a tortilla. Top with cauliflower and drizzle with remaining avocado crème. Season with salt and pepper as needed. They’re also delicious garnished with shredded jack cheese, sliced avocado, or ranch dressing.